It’s been about a month since I was hired as Cooked’s new Marketing Coordinator and a lot of things have happened since then. I’ve learned so much, met some great people, and most importantly, I have eaten some amazing food! I didn’t know it then but accepting this position would have such a positive impact on my diet and my overall relationship to food.
As a little background, I have two parents who love cooking and are great at it. Growing up we had family dinners every night that my parents managed to make both healthy and tasty. Some of my happiest memories as a kid are sitting at the kitchen island doing homework while my parents worked around each other in the kitchen, listening to them laugh together and talk about their days. After learning this about me you’re probably assuming that I’m a pretty accomplished cook, right? I know, I would too. I’m so sorry to disappoint. Let’s blame it on the fact that I’m a millennial? Or maybe it’s an every other generation sort of thing in my family? Either way, don’t judge me! My abilities in the kitchen are nothing I'm particularly proud of. Don’t get me wrong, I probably have about average cooking skills for a 23-year-old. And I wasn’t eating extremely unhealthily or anything like that, but I was eating a lot of the same things with little variety in my diet. Being young and busy, I found it wasn’t really worth it to me to be cooking full meals for one person. I also did a lot of unexpected traveling during the first couple months that I moved to Chicago, and after the third time of coming home to a fridge of rotted food I had bought to food prep, I had all but given up on it.
Enter Cooked. I am now lucky enough to get Cooked meals for free as part of my employment. How cool is that?! The following is a list I compiled of my favorite things about Cooked, because who doesn’t love lists.
- It’s freaking delicious! I figured it would be good, but I’ve tried food from meal delivery services in the past and wasn’t very impressed, so I wasn’t completely sure what to expect. The meals are so good though! I’ll describe it to you the same way I described it to my mom. To me, the meals are perfect cross between the taste of homemade food and expensive restaurant food. Homemade because it’s always tasty, fresh and you can tell that it was made with love, but also expensive restaurant food because it just has something about it that makes it taste extra good. Does that make sense? I hope so!
- It’s so convenient. This is something that has been huge for me. I order my meals on Sunday, have them by early Monday evening and then I’m set on dinners for most of the week. They also only take 10-15 minutes to heat up. This allows me so much more free time to do things I want, whether it’s reading a book or spending time with my friends.
- It’s healthy. Definitely healthier than the stuff I was eating before! All their products are sourced locally whenever possible, and there’s no hormones, preservatives, or added sugar.
- It allows me to eat a variety of tasty meals I wouldn’t be making for myself. Because let’s get real, there’s just no way I would be eating something like braised short rib ragout with sweet potato if it wasn’t for Cooked.
- I feel fuller and more satisfied after meals than I did before. This is a big one for me, probably the most significant change I have noticed in my diet. I have been doing a lot less snacking after dinner and am staying full for much longer. And I feel good about it afterwards! I don’t feel the guilt that I would sometimes feel after eating a bunch of random stuff out of my fridge and calling that dinner.
- It has helped me order take out less. Having a meal ready for me in the fridge when I get home from work really curbs the temptation of ordering take out when I don’t feel like cooking. This ends up being better for my body and my wallet!
- It reminded me of the importance of cooking and eating food in order to fuel your body. This is something my parents instilled in me but I kind of lost track of after moving out. These meals reminded me of that and allowed me to get back on track.
- Lastly, these meals remind me of my family and all the time we’ve spent around the dinner table. It’s nice to have that aspect back in my weekly routine, especially when I'm missing them.
Thinking about trying out our meals for the first time? Let me know your thoughts if you do! I’d love to hear them. You can reach me at email@example.com. Happy eating! :)
Share this post
- Tags: Prepared Meal Delivery