Starting to experience some cabin fever? Let me help! I’ve compiled a list of things to do to keep you busy and engaged while you’re at home. Everything can be done for free or relatively cheap. Enjoy! :)
- Bake or cook: Now is a great time to try out some new recipes or just make yourself some treats. You deserve it!
- Draw, color, or paint: Even if you aren’t the best, it can be a fun activity to take your mind off things.
- Clean and organize your space, go through your closet and make a donation pile: Not the most fun activity but it sure feels good once you’re finished!
- Go outside, sit in the sun, go for a walk or bike ride: Even a little time outside each day can help boost our mood and keep us feeling positive (please only do this as long as you can still practice responsible social distancing!)
- Take an online workout class: So many awesome companies have released free workout videos to help us stay active during quarantine.
- Binge a tv show or have a movie marathon: I’m sure there’s a tv show that you’ve always wanted to start but couldn’t get yourself to commit to and now, there’s no time like the present! (Game of Thrones, anyone?)
- If you’re like me and enjoy making lists, make lists of books you want to read or things you plan to do when once things are back to normal: I took this time to find new podcasts I want to listen to, books I want to read, and movies I want to see and then updated all my current lists (I told you I like making lists!)
- Read: Getting lost in a book is another great way to take your mind off things. A few of my recent reads that I highly recommend: Educated, Where the Crawdads Sing, Girls Burn Brighter, The Immortalists, Becoming, and The Nickel Boys. (A great way to find new books is GoodReads.com, you tell them books you’ve enjoyed in the past and they recommend new ones based on those)
- Paint your nails: With all the salons closed it’s up to us to give ourselves that spa treatment we’re all missing!
- Play with your pets: Maybe even teach them a new trick or two!
- Schedule a virtual happy hour with your friends or family: A virtual hangout is a great way to still feel connected to our loved ones. Make sure you’re checking in on each other!
- Download new games to play on your phone: This is a good way to relax but still keep your mind engaged! On my phone currently are Words with Friends, Two Dots, Bubble Shooter, Word Connect, and Trivia Crack.
- Get lots of rest: Remember, it’s okay to do this! We are in incredibly uncertain times and while this list has a lot of things to do to keep you productive, it’s equally important to just rest, catch up on your sleep, and relax. Don’t pressure yourself to pick up a new hobby or start a new project just because you have more free time.
These are just suggestions and things that generally work for me, I know everyone is different. Do whatever you need to in order to stay happy, healthy, and safe during this time. We’re all in this together!